Fried rice is a great fridge cleaning kind of dish, so use liberty to play with it and use up all those veggies that are getting sad in the crisper. We cook rice often around here, often for no particular reason other than to have some cooked rice on hand. Sometimes it gets consumed when it’s fresh and hot, sometimes, it ends up in the fridge. I’d suggest you think of fried rice as French toast’s rice-y cousin. Just as you can revive slightly stale bread for delicious French toast, you want fridge rice for fried rice. It’s a favourite side dish around here, but can easily become the main course if you’ve loaded it up with enough veggies and protein. Don’t forget to clean out your fridge by using whatever needs to get used. Some inclusions that we also enjoy are cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper, and mushroom.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:3 Tbsp cooking oil of choice (Canola works fine)
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
½ cup chopped protein (We like roasted chicken or kosher salami)
½ cup green peas (frozen is fine)
3 cups leftover cooked rice
3 Tbsp soy sauce (adjust to your liking)
2-3 eggs, beaten
Splash cooking rice wine
1-2 Tbsp of OKAZU miso condiment of your choice. We used spicy chili.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large frypan over medium heat. If you’ve got a wok, great. We use a large cast iron skillet.
- Saute onion and garlic for a couple minutes before adding the carrot and celery and your protein of choice. Cook for an additional two minutes.
- Add the cold rice and frozen peas to the pan. Break up any clumps of rice, drizzle the soy sauce, and mix everything together and shove it over to one side.
- Add the remaining oil to the bare side of the pan. Add the splash of cooking rice wine to the beaten eggs. Once the oil is hot, pour in the beaten eggs and scramble them. Once the eggs are mostly set, gently mix everything together.
- Finish by drizzling in the OKAZU and give it all another mix.